I arrived in Ithaca last Monday and for the most part, cannot distinguish the days between now and then. The lack of a schedule coupled with the construction crew kicking me out of my apartment each morning, meant that I spent my time listlessly checking of to-do items and wandering around to my favorite Ithaca haunts. I even fell into an odd rhythm and as I was in constant search of free wi-fi, I saw my friend Trevor every morning at Starbucks and my friend Nate every afternoon at Collegetown bagels.
Yet, as much as my days blended together there are some especially fond and distinct memories I have of the time:
- wandering all over campus in search of the relocated Cornell Dairy Bar and then napping under a tree on top of the bookstore (the Cornell bookstore is under a grassy hill) after my ice cream
- going with Steve to get pizza-subs from the Shortstop Deli, asking the movie theatre employees to let us in with them, then eating pizza-subs and watching Inception
- sitting in the late afternoon, on the Collegetown Bagels patio at the entrance to Cornell, alternating people-watching and reading
- evicted by the heat, one night I wandered down to the commons where I sat in an air-conditioned sports bar, eating french fries, drinking a beer and reading Anna Karenina
- cashing in TWO full coffee cards
- using Steve's car to run to Five-Guys after having hauled numerous boxes to the Post Office
Overall, the experience was relaxing and rewarding. Being in Ithaca gave me even greater strength in my conviction that I had made the right choice. Furthermore it was perfect summer weather and knowing that my time in Ithaca was coming to a close, the experiences were all that much better.
The last night Steve and I headed up to Trevor's house to hang out at the lakeside (see above). The weather was perfect and we sat talking, eating, and drinking until night came. Trevor and Steve both brought their guitars and I had the grandest time name country songs for Trevor to play. I can safely say that it was the perfect end to an era.
No comments:
Post a Comment