Friday, December 3

By the Numbers

A few weeks ago I began the graduate application process by logging on the various university websites and creating accounts. You need this much if you are going to ask for recommendations. Anyways, a few days ago I got further into the process and one application, in addition to a Statement of Purpose, asked a series of short answer questions. The third of these questions was this:

If more than six months have elapsed since the date of your last university enrollment, please describe what you have been doing.

I still use my hands count - starting with the thumb of course - and I quickly - as fast as you can count to six - figured out that I have indeed been out of Cornell for more than six month. This would later be debunked by Drew, Evan, and Danny Clapp - thank you summer enrollment - but still, six months. That is half of year!

This type of revelation, though completely devoid of any real significance, is exactly the type of revelation that is likely to get my hands shaking. The latter half of this last half a year I have been unusually susceptible to this sort of thing. Most of the time I am in control. Most of the time I am pleased with what I have accomplished in this time (books read, miles run, friendships rekindled). Most of the time I am confident.

Sometimes, though. I am not.

Anyways, I have another interview on Monday and I am praying this is the one to break the spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment