#1
Yesterday after my moment of questioning the Lord (see below) I did make it to the Starbucks downtown. This Starbucks is actually the opposite way that I should be traveling in the morning but there is a shuttle that leaves the Commons every 10 minutes on the weekdays and that gives me a nice bit of flexibility in my morning plans.
I spent some time reading before switching on my computer to make a diagram of my building that I had dreamed of the night before (yes I have perfected sleep that still allows me to work). It had snowed quite a bit outside and it was still relatively early in the morning which meant silence and untouched snow on the sidewalk. I was feeling pretty happy, partially from the caffeine and partially from sticking to my new goal to wake up earlier, when it started to gently snow outside.
Just when I thought that life, at that moment, could not get any better. I hear one of the baristas say, "I have a venti vanilla latte at the bar for free if anyone would like it."
(Just in case you didn't know, that happens to be my favorite coffee drink...)
#2
A couple of hours later I was midway through my Techniques in Visual Representation class when I suddenly lost all will to live... this is apparently what happens when you overdose on caffeine and good fortune.
#3
Today was the kick off for Dragon Day, the Cornell Architectural Department's equivalent to Spring Sing. I have made some passing references to it before but the basic premise is that back in 1901 a guy named Willard Straight aimed to unify the small department while also raising the visibility of the school on campus. That occasion has sparked a century long tradition of the architecture students (particularly the incoming freshmen class) building a twenty to forty foot tall dragon, marching it across campus and ultimately lighting it on fire. Imagine sixty or so extremely creative kids, with access to a full shop (including welding equipment), freed from all responsibility all set about to create a giant dragon of metal, wood, fabric, and cardboard
#4
My current studio project is with a partner and this evening Deborah came into studio to find me working late (for me) and this is what happened:
Deb: "Wow John I am surprised you are still here"
(Pause)
Deb: (slow motion voice) "Wai... dooo nntt look at what time it is."
(Pause)
Me: "Yeah I am going to go"



No comments:
Post a Comment