Upon my return to Ithaca...
I have found... that winter gear never matches
And a related secondary discovery is that it is really hard to look cool wearing multiple plaid patterns, let alone the assorted checkers and stripes that manufacturers of winter gear have a penchant to produce.
I have found... that thanks to some crackpot named Daniel Fahrenheit it is possible to see a forecast without any degrees
For the rest of the world when the thermostat hits zero you can at least say "it is freezing outside." In the measurement-challenged United States it is redundant to say such a thing and one is left to wonder what kind of place allows such an abhorrent absence of degrees.
I have found... a Mexican to cook for me
This is an important one. His name is Steve Santana and he is from a Mexican colony called Los Angeles.
I have found... that there are actually other people living in my house
What is more surprising is that they are relatively normal (Non-engineering grad students!). There is Ben the painter, Colin the law student, Maarika the girl with a cool Latvian name (who also happens to be a Mathematician), Rob the real estate guy, and two others who didn't show up for the party.
I have found... a Church
It is called the Vineyard and despite its many faults, they break for donuts and "Gimme" coffee after the first set of worship songs. (Gimme coffee is the best in Ithaca) Also, from my two visits I can guess that they have a rotating worship team which means, on any given Sunday there is the chance of seeing a short, Asian, tone-deaf bass player who, one can only guess, learned how to perform by watching the Spice Girls. The man has got mad moves, so much so that he needs one of those headset microphones like Britney Spears.
I have found... that relativity is not just a tenet of modern physics
For instance, in a different context exclamations such as "It is 25 degrees outside!" or "It's 8:00pm and I get to leave campus!" might not be accompanied by relief.
I have found... that Karissa's saintliness is at least half due to her relationship to me
I have found... that I cannot do this on my own
No comments:
Post a Comment