Monday, December 20

Working is hard!

Sorry I left you all with that little cliffhanger, not to mention the nearly impossible reference in the title. I did find work and, as it turns out, working full time has really cut into my free time. Now I have to prioritize my activities. The days of endless websurfing and reading are regrettably, but also thankfully, over.

First, of all, if the title of my previous post was incomprehensible to you, don't worry. No one could have got that reference. That title refers to a movie that came out in 2001 called Out Cold. It is, sadly, my favorite movie. I had come home from my first day of working and decided to celebrate by drinking a beer and watching it.

Second and more importantly, is the news that I am now fully employed. I am working in the Westmont Admissions Department as an application processor. It is truthfully, not the most thrilling work but the timeline is perfect, it is full time, and I get to work in an youthful and energy-filled department, partially staffed by two of my roommates, Evan and Matt.

Working at Westmont is, in itself, a humbling experience. Many of my freshmen residents from my RA days are now seniors and, having not kept in touch, am having to explain myself at each awkward encounter. However, on top of this I am also working in the Admissions department, the department responsible for my tuition free ride through Westmont. My first day there, the veep of admissions was introducing me to the girl at the front desk and, as a visual aid, pointed to a plaque on the wall bearing my name.

John's name is right up here, and now he is, um, here.

In my first few days I realized that many of these fears are irrational. Reconnecting with old friends and former residents has already been more a blessing than a curse. My insecurities about the scholarship are diminishing, but ok, still present.

Regardless, I am working and it feels really, really good.

1 comment:

  1. John, I'm glad to see that we struggle in the same ways. And that you have a job. I am still working on that one but I am hopeful, and I think I am taking the oxygen bubble that has risen to the surface of this vast, unemployment, oceanic abyss with RightScale.

    See ya soon old timer. I'da watched Field of Dreams... but we all have our differences.

    ReplyDelete