Sunday, March 13

Pat and Sandy

The admissions office is located inside Westmont's Kerwood Hall. If one enters the main entrance, it is only a few more steps to the department's door. "It is the second door on the left" - we are constantly reminded by Lexi's instructions to visitors.

From the main hall one can look through the office, straight into the formal gardens. Well, almost. There is a six-something foot tall guy at a computer blocking the view. Lexi, the Campus Visit Coordinator is inside just to the left. The first right is where all the tour guides and students workers hang out. After that, the Admissions Counselors are in cubicles to the left and right. Jodi, the Associate Director of Admissions and my boss, has an office, made from steel framed opaque glass, in the far left corner. Joyce, the Dean of Admissions has a similar office mirrored on the right. Of all these people, I am the only one you can see from the hall proper.

Back where I sit is a large, shared workspace. The inhabitants of such, include myself and two women, Pat and Sandy.

Sandy is the admissions counselor for foreign students as well as Joyce's assistant. She is a Santa Barbara native, is about 5'2" tall, has long, black and wavy hair, and recently her daughter-in-law gave birth to Sandy's second grandchild. Her husband, Bruce, is a nanotechnology engineer (nano-engineer?), loves cookies and Los Agave's mexican food. When Sandy laughs, it is the best thing that happens in the office. When she laughs she maxes no noise, slumps in her chair, straightens her back, each of her limbs and holds onto the seat. If I can make her laugh, it has been a good day.

Pat, or Patricia, is a bit older than Sandy, of a similar height and has completely white hair. She works for the admission's office only nine months out of the year and returns to Salem, Oregon for the remaining three. Anytime a town, city or municipality in Oregon is mentioned, Pat's face lights up. "I know exactly where that is." Consequently, she loves Kari. Pat is also, possibly, the most caring woman in the world. She is sincerely interested in how I am doing and always willing to lend a hand when I am inundated with applications.

We spend a lot of time at our desks and a lot of time together. In the office, I feel more kinship with them than with my roommates, who are a part of different crew all together. They are always willing to answer my questions and sometimes do so with a wink (insider information, don't spread).

The other day Sandy came back to her desk, relieved that whatever task she had just completed was over. "I like working with you two back here."

OMG I DO TOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment