mile1.
It is a bit cold outside but life is good, I can do this.
mile2.
Kari and I running together, talking, joking, and generally having a good time.
mile3.
I leave Kari behind, picking up the pace a bit. My right knee starts to hurt but every person I pass is a place I move up.
mile4.
Right knee really sore and tight, I start experimenting with different gaits
mile5.
Right knee really hurts but there are winner and losers and I am a winner
mile6.
I am actually loser, can't run downhill at all and slow to a walk.
mile7.
I can't run at all by this point. Every person I passed is now passing me, probably laughing.
mile8.
Kari catches up to me, checks in, runs on.
mile9.
I have to walk how many more miles!? This is going to take forever.
mile10.
There are still people passing me. A few concerned racers ask if I am OK. A few more offer words of encouragement.
mile11.
It is now painful just to walk. I am going really, really slow. Three old Asian men pass me.
mile12.
I can see all the way down to mile thirteen. I can also see Kari walking my way. If I was
mile13.
With Kari's help I've almost made it.
mile13.1.
I limp across the finish line in 511th place. I eat an orange slice and find a place to sit while Kari goes for the car. I am not exhausted, just relieved that the pain has stopped. I thought that I would have been embarrassed by my performance but it was such a long trek and as I finish I realize this is not the case.
No comments:
Post a Comment