These past two weeks have been very busy, one reason being our apartment is in a bit of transition. Shaowei and his wife moved out a week and a half ago and our new roommate is moving in on Sunday. In the meantime it is just Rafa and I and we have set about cleaning the apartment. Cleaning the scum off the kitchen was a bit of a nightmare but once it was finished it was not difficult to maintain, Rafa and I being very neat guys.
Yesterday a few painters came by to patch up the vacant room and today the Palo Verde maintenance crew showed up on my doorstep to do a deeper clean. All together there were three men and one woman. The man to ring the doorbell was obviously the crew leader. He was about six feet tall, tan skin with apple cheeks and round eyes. He spoke with an indistinguishable accent and apologized for the inconvenience. I told him I work from home and there was no better time.
The crew brought all their equipment in, a huge zamboni-like carpet cleaner, and headed to the back room. I stayed in the kitchen to get something to drink, some Trader Joe's Iced Tea. A few seconds later the leader comes back, wearing a ridiculously large smile and continues with this grin while he tells me about how I have no idea how many apartments they see where the resident has not cleaned for four years and how yesterday (yesterday when it was 98 degrees in Irvine) they were in one apartment for four hours. That is why he is so happy when he comes to an apartment like ours and he was so happy that he wanted to hug me, but he was not going to, instead he asked to shake my hand.
So we shook hands and when they left they had cleaned the carpets of the bedroom, the hallway and the living room, even though they were only supposed to do the one bedroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment