Sunday, November 29

Indeterminate


I am at the end of my break.

From last Wednesday to today I have been on holiday and I cannot quite tell you what I have done. I am trying to think of the causes and this is what I have come up with.

First, my movement was constricted to about a mile and half radius from my apartment. This is actually the norm for my semester but something about the holiday and the travel plans of my classmates allowed this fact to blur any distinction in my activities.

Second, is that for the past five days (I am sincerely incredulous that such time has passed) I have only had one appointment, Thanksgiving dinner with some friends. The rest of the time I had no commitments. This contributed to me, somehow, slipping out of the normal conventions of time. The best example I can give for this is that conventional names for meals could only be loosely applied to my day. Breakfast might be the first meal of my day but that could be at three in the afternoon.

Third, winter has really begin to set in. The gloomy weather, filtered sunlight, and early sunsets have created a landscape that only varies between two states: night and twilight. As soon as the sun rises, it looks like it has begun to set. Again, this allowed me for just a bit, to exist outside of time.

Anyways, I am speaking of the break in a really existential way but please don't worry. I spent a lot of time with friends and had an amazing break, I just don't know where it went.

2 comments:

  1. Johnny Boy - I'm still bummed we didn't get to see each other this break, but I'm glad you had a good time during your (very much deserved!) break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. your blog is an excellent read.
    2. I apologize for the weather out there, but seeing as you grew up in San Diego, I feel that it's just simple payback for all the years of shorts and sandals.
    3. Tanner and I miss you.
    4. I need your address, because I lost it.
    5. See #3. And then come visit.

    ReplyDelete