Saturday, October 10

GTBKI: The Ithaca Farmer's Market

Last Saturday I went to the Farmer's Market, probably one of the coolest places in Ithaca.

It is only open on Saturdays and consists of this large barn-like structure at least 100 yards long. It is all made of wood and is well lit by a clerestory. The wooden walkway is lined with stalls that sell everything from homemade crafts to produce, artwork to fresh food. The last of these, fresh food, is the best part of the whole experience. The entire market is filled with the scents of fresh bread, sumptuous pastries, apple cider, breakfast burritos, crepes, all sorts of Asian cuisine

The experience is absolutely overwhelming. I felt like I was in Disneyland (somewhere between Adventureland and Frontierland). Almost every step was filled with the most brilliant aromas.

We bought some crepes at the stand in the upper left part of this picture and then ate them out on this brick pavilion by the water. These two fellas were playing some good old time country music. The dude in the blue is playing the washboard and cymbals.

That is Lake Cayuga.

No comments:

Post a Comment