Thursday, October 15

Ok it is just raining now.

Snow though! It is only midway through October!

This is how the scene of my first snow played out:

We are in the Big Red Barn, the graduate and professional Student Center that looks like a barn and has an interior reminiscent of a ski lodge, and outside it looks like it is raining in slow motion. We realize it is snow and Steve, fellow Californian, gives me a high five. We are stoked. The first snow.

Three hours later I have just finished my second midterm of the day and I begin my walk home. About five minutes in I realize I have lost feeling in my face. Ten minutes in, it is so cold I want to die. Fifteen minutes in, I contemplate lying down on the sidewalk and going to sleep forever.

Luckily my apartment is waiting for me at a cozy 80 degrees. Adjusting from the cold to heat makes my body ache. Fortunately it is Thursday and I threw on a couple extra layers and head down for the free beer tasting.

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha. john...this made me laugh so much and proved to me that you are a californian through and through. is your apartment seriously heated to 80 degrees?! that's so warm...

    i hope you enjoyed your first new york snow experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hear your voice in this post. It's amazing. I'm glad you didn't just lie down and take it, although knowing you I know you for sure had that impulse. Haha.

    ReplyDelete