Saturday, August 22

Airport woes

This is a poem I composed yesterday to take my mind off the stresses of air travel and the unfortunate luck I seem to have with it.


"Flight 3855"

Arrivals left, Departures right
Please o please,
Let me make this flight
At the check in stand
A kindly fellow Lends his hand
“Plane is late but in the air”
Fillipantly,
“You have not a care.”
Still I know from experience,
Monotony,
Evanescent ebullience.
It doesn’t matter much
These three days,
Will serve my crutch.
Queue at the security line
Shoeless wonder
The floors I shine
This routine a bore
The loudspeaker screeches
“Half an hour, not a minute more”
Arrivals left, Departures right
Please o please,
Let me make this flight
What’s that you say?
The plane is just now
On its way?
That simply cannot be,
I cant believe
That man lied to me.
Luckily I planned ahead
"Three hour layover,"
My ticket said.
However others are
Less fortunate and
One lady calls a car.
Left waiting with me
Is a sort of Traveling coterie:
Minneapolis, Seattle, Chicago.
To our destinations
We must go!
Still no plane and we
Are getting restless
Can’t you see?
Our windows are getting thin
Please o please
Just let us in!
At long last the plane touches down
The man outside Wears a frown.
“Within minutes” is the latest of
empty promises
cries erupting “For the love!”
“Ladies and gentlemen it appears
a mechanical issue with some gears.”
It is spoken,
"There is no need to worry"
The mechanic they have woken!
Clocks ticking, nails I bite
Please o please,
Let me make this flight!

The shuttle bumps along
2am check-in
Clerk stifles a yawn
A tired hotel does its best
Welcome to Detroit
Try to get some rest.

I am a weary traveler
And have only
Precious moments
To spend with her

No comments:

Post a Comment