Ithaca is a college town; this weekend was move-in time and while I was in California the population of Ithaca nearly doubled. Aware of this, a collection savvy real estate moguls, city planners and town commissioners must have decided to name the city's second commercial center nothing other than "Collegetown." Perhaps it was an intentional move towards the explicit, the declarative, in a defiant stance against the implicit or implied. "You are here" is a dangerously subversive statement in that way. However, the more likely story lies in the impetus of the creatively impotent.
Whatever its origin. Collegetown exists, just south of Cornell's campus, as a place to concentrate the liqour marts and cheap eateries a college town requires. After all, the stereotypical university student needs to be able to purchase large quantities of the cheapest beer available and then find food at obscene hours of the night to satisfy cravings induced by consuming such large quantities of cheap beer. Indeed, it is highly recommended that you utilize some sort of mental inhibitors before attempting to dine at these establishments.
It is sadly utilitarian.
Today I was walking through, admiring the surge in population, when I was nearly flattened by a delivery man with thirteen cases of Keystone Light. I couldn't suffer a sip of that sad brew and was floored to think there is enough of a demand to merit thirteen cases, all for a store the size of my studio apartment!
As my mind raced to think of situations where I might be tempted to drink such a beverage I nearly tripped on a man delivering a keg to the establishment next door.
It is fun to paint such a bleak picture but to be fair, there are a few gems such as Collegetown Bagels and Chip'N'Dale Laundry that make the hike worthwhile.
Anyways, now you better know Ithaca!
No comments:
Post a Comment