
So today is actually my second day of "class," which has actually been a fairly tedious tutorial on the most fundamental aspects of architecture. The first day we had a round of introductions, a brief tour of Rand Hall (where the studios are located), a presentation on architectural drawing, a lunch break to retrieve the remaining needed supplies, and then the afternoon to construct our drawing boards, complete with the parallel rule which I purchased yesterday for a neat sum of 259.99. I will try and take a picture of it sometime but right now, know that it is a ruler that attaches to the drafting board through a series of wires and pulleys that allows for the construction of parallel lines.
Today we actually got to use the contraption and spent most of the day going through exercises on how to draw lines, vary line weight, and use and architect's scale. However, as tedious as it seems I know that in two weeks I will really appreciate the head start (It is also a bonus to run errands to the town's one mall, two supermarkets, one Walmart, etc. before another 20,000 students show up for the start of classes).
Today was also the day that my Dad left.
Now I alluded to this in an earlier post, but my first day in Ithaca, was not a happy one. It really set in how far away my friends were and that in particular, Karissa and I were commiting to living in separate places for three and a half years. Granted a good deal of my emotional destabilization can be contributed to lack of sleep and knowing this about myself, I actually told Kari before I boarded the plane in San Diego that she would have to talk me down from the ledge the next day. My Dad however, was also there for me and did everything he could to keep me busy and help me set up my imposingly vacant and whitewashed apartment.
He would at first push, and then later follow me down the aisles at Walmart and Target. Occasionally he would pick something out for me and say "Oh you are really going to like this." He was insistent on whatever would make me happy and at the end of the day we would eat at new local restaurant and make lists for things we needed to do or buy. We had pizza at Sal's where the cook was fat and the waitress was the kindest old lady I ever met. We had king crab at the Rogue's Harbor, serving strong spirits since 1830 (including 1920-1933). We both savored the filet mignon at the Boatyard grill, on a penninsula out into Cayuga Lake. In short, we had a grand time.
Many of you have had the chance to meet my Dad but I want to talk about him a bit more. First of all, my Dad is indiscriminate in who he talks to: a woman at the bookstore, the cable guy, the IT manager in Sibley Hall, a waiter, a Walmart employee. Now this does not resonate with the introverted side of my personality but I am always impressed at how these people open up to him, smile, and then answer his questions or, generally, give him what he wants (very useful if he is only looking out for your well-being). Yes, the world opens before my father.
He is also very logical, an analytical thinker, and a good problem solver. He snores like grizzly bear and will walk for miles in the morning for a cup of coffee, his one vice. Well that and ice cream. He can be very cynical and I can tell he is always thinking. Although he can be very upfront and honest with people, he is a fairly complex person and the depth of his character has always impressed me. In short, I am glad to be his son.
Dad (if you read this), I want you to know how incredibly grateful I am for your company and your help this past week. I know that the move, and especially the transition, would have been incredibly more difficult if you had not been here. When I left for college the first time I was way too proud to admit how much you and Mom helped me once I got there. I was on my way to adulthood. Now, I do feel much more mature and capable, but am no longer too proud to say that your help was invaluable and things would have been much harder without it. Thank you.
John,
ReplyDeleteThis post made me proud to be your friend (like I wasn't already...). And for the record, I bet your dad is glad to have you as a son.
Can't wait to see you in a couple of months.
Love,
Kels