Monday, August 17

Furniture, a Household Oligarchy

Today I did not leave the studio until half past four. We worked on our first floor plan today and as it was a three story building and we were doing all of the lines by hand, it was quite a project. I was actually the first to finish but that only makes me worry. In any case, I trudged home in this oppressive weather and went strait to my floor... serenity.


We all have those little peculiarities that constitute our characters. More often than not, they are such an intrinsic part of our being that it takes someone else to point them out. For instance, I was unaware that lying on the floor was something I did habitually until Joe referenced that in a recent comment.

Well maybe I knew that, but I didn't think it an odd thing to do. For one thing, it is a lot cooler down there and for another, it is (almost) completely unrestricted, the restricting boundaries long out of reach of your extremest extremities. In fact, the one restriction on your being is the plane that forms the surface, which is reassuring really and has the added bonus of promoting Edwin Abbot type fantasies. Lastly, it is something that I did as a child and have never quite grown out of.

Anyways, I thought I would dedicate a blog post to my rug as it has been a small but significant part of my daily routine. Without fail, I will come home and before I turning lights on, I will lie down on the rug. Mostly to stop sweating, but also to recollect myself.

For this reason I am quite obsessive over the well being of my rug. When I have shoes on, I walk around the rug. I have a large lint roller that I use for the exclusive purpose of cleaning it. Last night I opted to eat my snack on the futon, rather than risk getting crumbs on the rug. I would consider fencing it off but that eliminates the infinite boundary conditions that I so adore with the added side effect of it interfering with company. It is not so much that it would get in the way, just that I don't know who would want to be friends with someone who kept an adult playpen.

1 comment:

  1. John, you are hilarious and I love reading your blog! I'm so glad you seem to be settling in well, Cleo had quite a harrowing experience that she could probably tell you about :p Can't say enough of how proud I am of you... keep writing, and stay well! love, li!

    ReplyDelete