In class we transitioned to digital media and spent the day familiarizing ourselves with photoshop. Afterward I walked back to the apartment only to lie down on my rug for twenty minutes. Meteorologic conditions are doing everything they can to remind me that this is not California and the humidity literally beat me to the floor.
I ate a pint of Purity Ice Cream, felt better and decided it was time for an adventure. I needed milk and entertainment and only two blocks down the hill there is something called the Commons, which is really a breeding ground for the young degenerates and dirty hippies that Ithaca seems to harbor (I have already decided to dedicate a future post to how liberal this upstate New York town is).
The public library is only one block south of the Commons and I decided that would be my first stop. I signed up for a library card and received my plastic passport to happiness within minutes. I checked out two books and immediately felt better about life. I then headed to the Common's Market, which is really just a closet with one large bookshelf bisecting the store, dividing it into a chips/dip aisle and the beer aisle. Among the numerous brews there were two shelves of milk and I selected an appropriately sized half gallon. I then made my way to the Ithaca roasting company (another great subject for a blog post) and bought a six pack of my new favorite beer, the Ithaca Beer Co's "Cascazilla." And here I am now, ready to tell you about.....
My Kitchen!
This is my kitchen, cute isnt it? If more than zero persons are in there at one time it feels crowded. The sink does not have a garbage disposal which a bit of a bummer and that counter my dad and I actually purchased (before it was a block of driftwood with rusty nails sticking out). That counter is in reality a cool story. We went to Lowe's expecting to buy two 12"x12" tiles to put on the wood but thought we would inquire at the kitchen department anyways. They actually had two of these pieces special-ordered and then returned, we had to buy them together but it was only 10 dollars and it fit absolutely perfectly.
We had to buy almost everything but now I can do a fair bit of cooking... if it was not so dang hot.
Plentiful cereal (hot and cold) supply. You can also see my miniature stovetop oven. Most of the groceries came from a place called Wegmen's, which is a big chain over here. In fact many of the items on the shelves are Wegmen's brand. Did I already talk about our experience there? I forget. Anyways, this store was huge and crowded. We were first struck my the number of cars in the parking lot and then the number of patrons in the store. Ithaca has only have 30,000 permanent residents and at any given time (it is open 24 hours a day) about a thousand people are shopping at Wegmen's.So that is my kitchen and yet another part of my charming residence. In all seriousness I am very pleased with my living arrangements. Talking to other students and seeing some of the other housing options, I realized I am quite blessed.
PS- Thanks for reading my blog! It has been quite cathartic to let forth such a deluge of thoughts onto these pages and I like to know that the people who care about me are tuning in.
John I love the pics and the stories. I love reading all your posts and seeing those bright thoughts down on paper. Talk to you soon!
ReplyDelete"plastic passport to happiness".
ReplyDeletehaha.
love it.
John, I too have been enjoying your blog. I can hear your voice when I read it - a voice I miss already. It's great to hear what you're doing with your time and what your living situation is like. Glad to hear you still lie on the floor during random parts of the day--love it. I've wanted to call you to hear more details, but know you're not the biggest conversationalist on the phone, especially when your eyes are open. But after enough time goes by I bet we'll have things to chat about...
ReplyDelete