Saturday, August 15

GTBKI: Ithaca is Gorges

So this is one of many waterfalls in Ithaca. This is the scene directly behind Sibley Hall, the Architecture building... remember the one with the big white dome. Well actually, directly behind Sibley is a road, then a cliff, then this. That suspension bridge leads up to the back of the building and up above those falls, in the next falls, there is a hydro-electric plant that sends power up to the campus. In particular, it drives the laser cutter in Rand Hall, where the architecture studios are located.

And this is the closest thing to beach culture you will find in Ithaca. Armando, a new friend, pointed out some people tanning on the north bank of the creek and we laughed. He is from Puerto Rico. Another couple had a small propane grill and a cooler full of beer. We did not laugh at that, we were jealous.

In the foreground of the photo is a guy named Adam, he is also a new friend and fellow M.Arch student. He organized this outing. Everyone was invited but several were busy so it ended up just being Armando, Adam, Noah, Collin, and myself. All in different stages of life, all with different backgrounds, and all currently in pursuit of their Masters of Architecture from Cornell University.

The water I was pleased to discover, is at the absolute perfect temperature and if one so desires, the waterfalls are stable and accessible enough to sit in. Which is exactly what we did.

The rushing water was too loud to allow for conversation, so we lounged in the middle of the falls until we got tired of the scenery (not easy), and hopped in, attempted to swim upstream, tired and floated downstream. It may not look it, but the middle is pretty deep and the drop off is, well, immediate. I found that out the fun way: where shin deep water turns to underwater.

I was also pleased to know that I was not the only one to feel the affects of Thursday night's sangria outing. Adam brought up the fact that he was hungover the next morning and we all laughed. Each person, it turns out, left that evening not entirely sober (Adam's case was particularly harsh because his night did not end there). Anyways, I suppose it was a potent mixture and the ice cold glasses, too refreshing to savor slowly. Even though we were there for several hours and did not drink more than a glass per hour, we all felt the effects.

I am glad to report that I am doing well. My apartment is a great jumping off point and I have not been short on ideas for activities or books to read. Although I am hanging out with the guys again tonight it is hard because it is in a way, a forced friendship and the conversations suffer from chronic silences. I know not to expect an immediate depth or ease to these relationships but I have to try to be myself around these people and that attempted genuine self, just goes to say that I am missing the comfort and recognition of true friends.

On a lighter note, I made a frozen pizza tonight but topped it with fresh bell pepper, onion and cheese. Sooo tasty. And the bonus of living alone... leftovers :) Also, many college students are familiar with wine in a box... well I have peach iced tea in a box. It is also very tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when you used to watch the Daily Show at work as a "treat"? Well I've been reading your blog during lunch at work and it is definitely a treat. Thanks for sharing your life with us even from a distance, and I am super excited to see you so soon.
    P.S. Ithaca is gorgeous. Not that SB isn't, but it's different. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So i just read my blitz of your blogs. Keep em coming, my vocabulary has increased with these last ones, as well as my enjoyment of hearing the details of your life. I'm glad you are enjoying it out there. Sadly the contra effect of reading these blogs is missing you. We just had Peter N, Mike B, Ben F, Jason H, and Joe F over for dinner and Bang. You would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete