Thursday, September 24

5 Things that make me happy

I have noticed that there is a theme to my recent updates and I want to take some time to talk about the good things in my life. I do try to enjoy life and despite all my troubles I am managing pretty well.

Today I sat down in the Green Dragon and made a list, "Things that make me happy." Note that this is a pragmatic list and omitted are the true sources of joy in my life.

1. The Big 3 Beverages:
Tea, Coffee, Beer. Depending on the time of day the careful supply of one of these liquids can completely change my mood. This is not solely due to their chemical effects. The taste, smell, and sensation of each is what really gets me. My coffee I like with half-n-half and sugar. My tea, well I like that just as it is. Beer, I'll take anything amber in color.

2. The smell of toasting bagels:
Oh and I like eating bagels too but this is about the quotidian experiences that really have the power to change my day. Walking into Collegetown bagels, flooded with that warmth, it is a good thing.

3. Collegetown Bagels:
Not just because of the smell. The shop closest to campus has a very urban, carefully crafted bohemian feel. As unlikely as this is, I like to imagine Vonnegut and Pynchon crafting their dismay of humanity while sitting on the patio. (Vonnegut dropped out of Cornell but they still hold on to the fact that he did attend, for a while)

4. The Cornell Daily Sun:
This irreverent paper is so full of cynicism and sex, news and comedy that when I have time to sit in the Dragon and acclimatize myself to university life, it is absolute bliss.

5. Good things on the calender:
This is one I owe to my lovely girlfriend. She learned a while ago that people who have things on the calendar to look forward to, are happier. For that reason I try to include the good things among my assignments. The "good things" make me happy too, but having them on my calendar is like having half the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment