I was doing some calculating on my way home today and this is what I come up with.
Say I have 24 hours in my average weekday. Now let's say on average, I have to spend 6 hours in class. Now let's pretend that for every hour of class, I have an hour and a half of work: 9 hours work. Ok 15 hours of my day dedicated solely to architecture, that is not too bad... but I forgot the commute. Ok a generous half an hour on either end of the day and another, for all of the walking between classes.
But no one can really work for 15 strait hours. I need some breaks in there and lucky for me, I have yet to include meals, a moderately important part of my day. An hour and a half should take care of that. Add another half an hour for all things hygiene related and we should be good...
Until I start to take into account things that the average architect might deem superfluous. Human relationships for one. I happen to be in a serious one of the romantic nature and couldn't get by without at least half an hour of her talking me down off the cliff. Religion is another. I am one of those superstitious folks who like to read the bible and pray. Fifteen minute quiet time and another fifteen minutes pleading with God to send the plagues of Egypt to all architects, he obviously hardened their hearts a while ago.
Ok we are getting close to the complete day. Add another half an hour for errands, there is always something to do. Add another half hour for time to decompression / entertainment... I'll let you guess which category updating my blog falls into. And finally we arrive at a number
20.5 hours! I made it with room to spare... what am I going to do with those extra three and a half hours!
Whats that? I forgot sleeping... crap.
The picture gets really bleak when I start doing more accurate measurements based on a week.
i have found that looking at a weeks worth of hours is a little less daunting that at a days worth of hours - 168 is a lot more to work with than 24.
ReplyDelete-C