I woke up early. Watched some news, ate some cereal and opened a few gifts. I went to the gym and by the time I got home I only had about an hour and a half before I had to head up to campus, run a few errands, get to studio by 12:30pm. I cannot account for that hour and a half today as whatever I did, was that inconsequential.
My "Core Studio" class is where the hands-on experience happens, where the architecture goes down. According to Jim, architects learn by doing and therefore, the studio is where the majority of my education will occur. Which makes sense, it meets for a minimum of four hours, three days a week and the outside commitments will keep me there, I am sure, to all absurd hours of the night (if you know me, you know this will be a problem).
But this is the story of my birthday and for that matter it is only relevant to know that I did not leave studio until well after five.
Having been through this experience before I decided not to tell anyone in the program that it was my birthday and instead, rely on my true friends for their well wishes. Besides I do not like the sort of attention associated with birthdays and more importantly, twenty three is an age that is way too cool to celebrate.
In short, the best part of my day started when I finally left studio.
Holidays (and one's birthday is a relative holiday) are probably the hardest to spend alone. For that reason, among many others, I am deeply indebted to my good friends who all saw fit to call me and talk for a while. The four years I was at Westmont were not spent idly and I am confident that the friendships I made there are not on hold, but rather being conducted over a greater distance.
I went a treated myself to a Filet Mignon at an upscale restaurant in Ithaca called Madeleine's. It was voted "Best Place to Go to Forget You are in Ithaca." Fitting. I also made sure to accompany the meal with a Cabernet Sauvignon, my favorite, and made doubly sure it was from California. Perhaps it is it is the location of all of my past wine tasting experiences, but that glass smelled like Napa. The smell brought places and faces to vivid memory. By the time I left, I was drunk from the odor.
I then had my first successful bus experience riding to the Ithaca Mall. I bought myself another present, the first season of Mad Men.
I spent all of this time alone but don't worry, by the time I returned to the apartment my phone battery had run low (translation: "Don't pity me, I have friends!"). Indeed, everytime I was feeling lonely someone called and catching up with each person was a wonderful gift on my special day. I returned to the apartment exhausted, to tired even to unwrap Mad Men, called my beautiful girlfriend, she wished me happy birthday one last time and I wished her good night.
So thanks again, for being my friends.
PS- I remembered how I spent that lost hour and half in the morning... I put in Out Cold and puttered around on the internet :)
PPS- I am posting this from the reading room in Willard Strait Hall. Check it out! Sorry this is not the best picture but I am trying to not embarrass myself here and there is a guy right behind me.
No comments:
Post a Comment