Today was actually fairly enjoyable. I spent most of my time outside and the weather was perfect for it. I bounced around campus, lounging in the grass, drawing buildings, listening to some country music. For class tomorrow we are to have twelve drawings, four each for three buildings on campus, ready to "pin-up." Drawing and thinking for an architect are supposedly synonymous and my skills need some fine tuning.
In history class today we watched a film called The Belly of an Architect. We were supposed to watch for the image architecture / the architect is presented in, how the protagonist engages his trade, what preconceptions he is operating under, the "Rome" he experiences, etc. A plot summary would go like this: famous architect works too hard, his life starts disintegrating, there are some explicit adulterous sex scenes, he loses his wife, loses his health, ends up killing himself.
Keep in mind that this is being shown to a class of about 50 freshmen architecture students and 12 entering graduate architecture students, all in the first week of classes, all just entering into the discipline. It would have been discouraging but the fact that film was shown to us was just too much over the top and was thus, quite comical.
Other noteworthy parts of my day:
- The plant is a Jade Plant (crassula ovata) and is still nameless
- I lost my kneaded eraser
- I saw a guy in the computer lab fell asleep with his face on the keyboard and when he woke up he told me that he was dreaming about his thesis
- I was sitting outside of Olin Library, drawing Uris Library, when I noticed this:
(the poster on the wall it is for a Darwin exhibit)
While this bird's demise is quite sad you have to admit its deathbed is quite ironic. I was going to caption this with "Not the Fittest" and leave it at that, but I think someone might have taken offense at the insensitivity.
this is a crack up
ReplyDeleteOMG
-C