Saturday, September 5

The Architect's Dinner

Finally Friday arrived (longest week of my life) and we had our dinner.

And what happens when 12 architecture students, financed by an Ivy League school, get to put on a dinner?
Fun stuff. We actually had to buy everything and I must say, we did good. As much fun as it was we were also there on assignment and each of us were tasked with documenting the party in our own particular way. We are currently finishing up our constructed drawings of the space and next week we will make a second drawing based on our observations.

We each chose a slightly different medium to record the event. Some people recorded sound, some video, some took pictures, and some took notes. One guy, Hyun, had us put some masking tape on our wine glasses and mark the level every 10 minutes.


I chose to document motion within the room, particularly as it relates to the natural boundaries of the space (walls and table). I placed my small tripod on top of a large china cabinet at one end of the room and used the burst mode on my camera to capture the motion and movement of the dinner's participants.



One girl, before the start of dinner, had us blindfold our neighbor and rearrange their place setting. The blindfolded dinners then had to draw of the objects in front of them with only the sense of touch. My partner was not watching me closely and I actually grabbed one of those candles in the middle of table.


For dessert we had Cornell Dairy ice cream with fresh blackberries and then, to conclude the evening, a toast to the start of a great journey.



I actually really liked this picture for the red/green complement between the different realms in which this evenings festivities were conducted. In architecture we would talk about "dualities" and other such nonsense.

Anyways, it was great to sleep in this morning and I spent a good chunk of time today working on homework and hopefully, next week things will not be nearly as stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment